A direct cremation, also known as simple cremation, is a type of cremation where the deceased is taken directly to the crematorium without a funeral ceremony. It is the most affordable option for families, and one of the most popular cremation services in Maple Shade, NJ.
We said this is a short guide, so here’s a quick summary of how direct cremation is different from a standard cremation or burial.
- No need to visit the deceased in the funeral home
- No need to schedule day and time for the burial or cremation
- No hearse, no procession. No committal service.
- The body goes directly to the crematory without fanfare
This may make you think a direct cremation is too callous or overly aloof, but that’s far from it. You can still have a funeral, memorial service, celebration of life ceremony, or any other event you wish to organize to honor your loved one.
How Direct Cremation Works
The real-life timeline is just as simple, and the speed of the process is one of the reasons many families are choosing direct cremation.
If you pay for direct cremation, here’s how it would typically work —
- The cremation provider collects the deceased and brings them into their care
- The body is refrigerated until the paperwork is completed and permits are issued
- Cremation takes place in a cremation container (cardboard or wood)
- The ashes are transferred into a plastic urn
- The urn is collected, delivered, or shipped to the family
The entire process typically takes between 7-10 days, two weeks tops. It depends on the cremation provider/funeral home and how quickly the paperwork, which involves different people, is completed.
Hence, if you are planning a memorial event and wish to have the ashes on display, we recommend checking with the cremation service provider first.
Benefits of Direct Cremation
Direct cremation provides an inexpensive path to the final disposition. In a direct cremation, you only have to pay for —
- Transportation from the home or hospital
- Crematory fee
- Necessary paperwork – death certificate, cremation authorization form, cremation permit, etc
- Cremation container and plastic urn
- Standard sanitary care
Basically, you only have to pay for the minimum services required to cremate a body. In New Jersey, the average cost of direct cremation is $2,429. This is significantly more affordable than traditional burial or traditional cremation, which costs $4,000 on average.
Beyond the cost, direct cremation is exceedingly easy to arrange. There’s no service to organize, and the setup process is simple. At South Jersey Cremation, you can arrange a direct cremation online.
Also, flexibility. Without a body to plan for, families are free to arrange memorial services whenever it’s convenient and according to their budget.
Downsides of Direct Cremation
Unfortunately, direct cremation’s speed and basic structure mean no room for visitation. Family and friends, especially those who live far away who wish to see the body before saying goodbye, won’t get the chance.
That’s our short guide on direct cremation. We believe having a complete picture will help you decide what’s right for your family.
Whatever you choose, we offer all kinds of cremation services in Maple Shade, NJ. You can contact us to set up an arrangement for immediate or plan ahead. If you have further questions, our team is here to help too-our testimonials.